Big Island, also known as Hawaii Island, is truly a haven for tourists. With an area of 4,028 square miles (10,430 km2), it is known as the largest Hawaiian island. You will surely not have a dull moment when you visit this island for your vacation. Aside from the beautiful sceneries in the location, there are also many fun activities which you and your family will surely enjoy.
We have listed for you some of the most fun activities to tryout as well as some of the best places to go while on vacation in the Big Island. Here are some of our favorite things to do:
– One thing that you will surely enjoy is exploring the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. If you are adventurous, you may want to visit this park which has two active volcanoes. The park includes Kilauea Military Camp, Thomas A. Jaggar Museum, Volcano Art Center and the main visitor center. Address: 1 Crater Rim Dr Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI 96718
– Visit the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail- If you enjoy trekking and traversing breathtaking sceneries; you may want to visit this trail. It is managed by the National Park Service.
– Swim at Fair Wind- If you love the sea, you will surely enjoy this place. Located in Kailua-Kona, here you can find some great snorkeling, whale watching and scuba diving activities. Address: 78-7130 Kaleiopapa Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740
– Reach for the summit of Mauna Kea – If you love nature, you will surely have a great time visiting this place. You will be able to enjoy one of the most amazing sunsets you have ever seen by finishing the Hawaii forest trail.
– Enjoy the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden- Another magnificent place to visit is this garden. You will be able to enjoy the natural flora and fauna of Hawaii. It is a plant sanctuary which will surely leave you breathless. Address: 27-717 Old Mamalahoa Hwy Papaikou, HI 96781
Other great places to visit while on vacation here include Green Sand Beach, Rainbow Falls State Park, Hiilawe Falls, Pololu Valley Awini Trail, South Point at Ka Lae, Thurston Lava Tube, Makalawena Beach, Four Mile Scenic Route and Pololu Valley Overlook.
No matter what you enjoy doing, you will surely love Big Island as there are so many things to tryout. Like we have mentioned, the Big Island is truly a paradise for everyone. Aside from the activities we have listed above, you will also be able to enjoy Hawaii’s rich culture, beautiful sceneries, breath taking attractions, friendly people and mouth-watering cuisine. If you are still deciding on which island to visit and have never been to the Big Island before, we highly recommend it!